Thursday, March 24, 2011

Monarchs


Spring break was a perfect time to purchase a tropical milkweed, the host plant for monarchs. The butterflies were headed north and happy to see our plant! Amazing! These are the pictures I took of them laying their eggs (do you see the tiny white egg in the second picture?) and the caterpillars that hatched about 5 days later. As you can see, they have been 'very hungry'.

2 comments:

rgmsr said...

Nice photos LM! Maybe you can advise them to stall their trip North...Thanks to a 'atypical' jetstream we still have 'artic' air and SNOW! I swear if it wasn't for my sore butt I would've turned the car around.

Presently seeking RE in the Georgetown area...preferably close to the MC! Miss y'all...luv what you've done with the deck!

LM said...

yuck! snow! You shoulda turned around! it's going to hit 90 here within a week!

i've been in a major blogging slump...but I'm getting back on track.

must find milkweed NOW...20 fat caterpillars ate the entire plant.
next blog post. plus kid pics of their practices. Stay tuned! won't leave ya hangin'.