Monday, March 22, 2010

The snake 'event'




The wildflower center was a nice place visit. Many nice things happened during our trip, but of course I have to talk about the snake. I will be the first to admit that the 'event' was nothing. Why would I get worked up over a nice, long, slithery thing making a B-line towards my child who was sitting so sweetly on a rock wall? Time was in slow motion as it went towards my little one, up the wall beside her and into the grass. Right beside her. Did I mention it was RIGHT beside her? I've said it before in this blog, I'M NO BINDI IRWIN. I do not know the difference between a harmless ribbon snake, coral snake, or cotton mouth. I DO know that I've had to walk down a $40,000 IV in the hospital to some nice lady who was bitten by a poisonous snake. (Completely serious.)
But hey, it wasn't poisonous and A. was never in any danger and I got to be the mommy who overreacted by saying "OH MY GOSH AUBIN DON'T MOVE" and terrified the poor child by yanking her up. Poor thing. The snake didn't traumatize her, I DID! Nothing like a little dose of mama-drama to mess up your kid.

4 comments:

lil' mama said...

Yuck. I would've reacted the same way!

rgmsr said...

Geez...I dunno...the 'stand in' looks pretty friendly. Did you sneak in the RR Library to catch 'Ms Roxanne' while she was awake. (For you Aggies...that would mean nitetime).

I dunno but I think Bindi was born in Norman...a distant cousin?

Patricia said...

Snake event..i would suggest that as a rx/mom..you would assume the "possible"dangers..NOT an over reacation..Snakes are just that..SNAKES!!!OOOOH...yukkkkk...just hope i always see them before they see me,as they are really interesting..but NOT by my kids face..reference Aunt K saying..look mommy..nake!!!..baby rattler skimming the brick outside the door on timberlake rd..Texas is NOT an area where there are innocent snakes!!!better safe than sorry..L..you are the awesome mom!!!..patricia m..love the black lights on H..cool man!!!

katydavis said...

I feel creepy just looking at it. We had a teeny tiny garden snake in the pool last year.....I still won't swim!!!!!