
Chocolate-chip chocolate muffins
1-3/4 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 can (15 oz) of beets
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup oil (canola or smart balance)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup +1 Tbs cocoa powder
1/2 cup 60% Ghirardelli chocolate chips
Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Spray and lightly flour muffin tins (I used 24 mini muffin tin and a 6 reg. size tin.)
In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, soda, and salt.
Open the can of beets and drain in a small bowl to reserve the liquid. Place the drained beets in a blender, and puree those puppies, adding enough of the reserved "juice" to make the puree.
Scrape the puree into a large bowl. Add sugar and oil to the beets. Blend with a hand held mixer until combined. Next, add the eggs and vanilla and do the same until incorporated. Add the flour mixture to the beet mixture. Using medium speed, mix until thoroughly combined. In a small bowl, toss the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips with a tsp. of flour until coated and stir them in by hand to the batter. Fill up the muffin tins and place in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes (?) for the mini muffins( longer for the regular ones) until done. (I never know how long to cook things...you're smart. You'll figure it out.)
Notes: I don't tout these muffins as "healthy" because of the beets....I think the cup of sugar, oil, and 3 eggs make for a nutritional downer, but oh well! I like saying that I got my kids, husband, and unknowing NEIGHBORS (wink-wink) to eat beets!!! ( :
1 comment:
They look and sound yummy. I'm game. I'll try them. :)
Post a Comment