Saturday, May 3, 2008

Enchanted Rock

We've been lucky here. It's been hot and muggy during the weekdays, but a few cold fronts have hit us in time for the weekends. We woke up this morning to 57 degree weather and decided to go to "Enchanted Rock", which is about an hour from our home. Rick and I went here on our first date, so it's sort of special to us. Enchanted Rock is a huge, pink granite dome uncovered by erosion.......it's fun to climb and explore. Why.....(you may ask)........is it an enchanted rock? The Tonkawa Indians believed ghost fires flickered at the top and heard creaking and groaning at night (which was actually the rock expanding/contracting with the heat of the day and cool of the night).
The wildflowers and cactus (cacti I suppose?) were in full bloom. GORGEOUS! Aubin and I hiked around looking at flowers and lizards while the boys climbed all the way to the "summit"! They even explored one of the caves in the rock itself. We all had a good time.

No comments: