Sunday, June 22, 2008

Road trip

My mother's side of the family has a reunion every year around Father's day. It's about 2 hours away, which is a big deal because it's encroaching on the 3 hour "road trip radius" from our home. Why 3 hours? Because that's the point when the DVD/snack supply interest begins to deteriorate and the "he's looking at me/are we there yet" kicks into high gear. Root canal, anyone?
As a kid, Rick and his family drove back and forth from Texas and upstate New York. So, I get no love or laughs on my r.t. radius rule, just crickets softly chirping. Yeah, yeah.....you all pushed your Volvo uphill in the snow, both ways...I get it. I still think you were all CRAZY. ( :
Don't fret, GP's . I'll get over myself in a few years and we'll make it up there. We do sincerely appreciate you all coming to see us for now.
Back to the picture. Much like Rick's family who stopped at "Stuckey's" on their car trips, we stopped at at "Buc-ee's" for a fill up and a snack.


10 comments:

lil' mama said...

How did the trip go? Any meltdowns - you or the kids? :)

katydavis said...

Is that a paid advertisement for Buccee's and Smartfarm???? Just kidding!

LM said...

Trip went well...no meltdowns...parents or kids! Amazing! (First year ever!)

LM said...

Wow! We commented at the same time, sis-tah dear.

LM said...

About Buccee's....Jessica recently informed me that it's Lake Jackson based and the owner price gouged after Hurricane Rita. The kids are making "Boycott Buccee's" signs as we speak. jk

LM said...

Shout out to cousin J. We didn't know the Buccee's story until after the photo was taken.

katydavis said...

Hey, I just posted, if you're still on.

LM said...

Let's see how many comments I can make to my own blog tonight...okay this is number 5...
I feel bad about this post, because I meant for it to be self deprecating and poke fun of my hatred for car trips, but I'm afraid it sounds like I don't respect Rick's "happy-family- going-to-Grandma's" road trip memories. (The angst I feel!)
Apologies to Rick's family!

LM said...

I'm calling you right now.

rgmsr said...

Hey! I recognize that Buc-ee's...It's on the east side of Giddings?...right? But I'm frettin. Two hour road trips? Can't be compared to 'our' marathons when it was ALL good. We sang kumbaya most of the way and shared smores around the campfire at nite. I wonder if I still have my shirt; 'Eat at Stuckey's and get gas'. (probably with my Nehru jacket!) Gosh I miss my 'Ferrari' cap!