We attempted roller skating for the first time on Saturday. The kids earned all of their stickers on the weekly "sticker chart" and this was the reward. Hayden has been infatuated with "wheel shoes" for awhile now, and has begged and pleaded to for us to try it. Both kids were incredibly excited, jumping and hugging each other when we told them it was time to go. Rick and I went into this experience with a hunch that the only probable thing to fly fast was our $20, and we were right! The kids HATED it. Shortly after the first picture was taken we had two kids on our hands screaming saying "Whoa! Whoa! " Their wheels were tightened to begin with , so they weren't rolling THAT much. Plus, we were holding on to them. Oh well, they were brave soldiers. I think we were able to cajole them into doing a lap holding onto the hand rail. Poor kids, they completely lost composure when the lights went out and the disco strobe light came on. Luckily, the blaring 80's music drowned out their screams. We couldn't help but to laugh a little with our two little tykes doing silent screams to Paula Abdul's "Straight up now tell me" .
Here's me calming them down. (And yes, Aubin and I are sporting matching pig tails.) I hooked them up with some goldfish crackers while Dad and I did a 3 lap "couple skate". It was a memorable moment of marital bliss until the last lap when a roller-derby chick in short skorts and knee highs came flying up behind us skating with a leg by her ear. An amazing physical feat, true. But not good for the ol' mommy ego who was wet with kid sweat and slobber! Rick and I gave each other a look and just started howling.
5 comments:
Sorry...I gotta go with the kids on this one...80's disco music had the same effect on me. Their Dad, however, probably held back displaying his 'deftness' on skates. He and his sister were former students of 'Richard' at Skate-A-While. Inspite of no formal lessons, I'm known as quite a 'skater' myself...at least around the workplace.
Apollo and Chandler enjoyed this episode...Altho I did edit out the 'goldfish' part...
Response to Mrs. L. Thorn, Former HS English Teacher: You're right! What was I thinking? It should be 'Despite', as a preposition, meaning 'in spite of'. I will write this out 500X. Do I need to forward that to you or are we okay with the honor system?
Smart thinking to edit out the goldfish part for A & C!
Shhhhh.....don't tell Mrs. Thorn about my grammar...I'll get held back another year.
I can proudly say that my children have been robbed of the skating experience thus far!!!! Way to go for braving it.
Post a Comment